Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Career tip


So popular is the word that many just have jobs and not career. Career I believe is a means of livelihood, that gives a man or woman fulfillment, sense of contribution and relevance. To move from success to significance in life, you must be in a right career and not just a job.

Many young graduates leave school in search of a job much more than a career. At the end, such a life is filled with frustrations and complaints. I am sure you’ve heard this many times, How did I get myself here, I am only in this job because of the money, If I can just do this now, I will resign immediately. Career is a lifetime vocation, we don’t resign, we don’t retire. Career is a life spent solving problems, adding values, using your creativity to make this world a better place.

What differentiates a career from a job? Mostly , it’s the motive of the individual. If all you’re saying is ‘I just want to get a job, I want a high paying job, let me earn a fat salary e.t.c. Most likely you will end up with a job and not a career. You might say, is money now irrelevant? I am not saying that, money is relevant but don’t place the cart before the horse.

I got this research result and it was revealing

Authors Robert J Kriegel and Louis Patler cite a study of 1,500 people over twenty years that shows how passion makes a significant difference in a person’s career:
At the outset of the study, the group was divided into Group A, 83 percent of the sample, who were embarking on a career chosen for the prospects of making money now in order to do what they wanted later, and Group B, the other 17 percent of the sample, who had chosen their career path for the reverse reason, they were going to pursue what they wanted to do now and worry about the money later.
The data showed some startling revelations
At the end of the 20 years, 101 of the 1500 had become millionaires
Of the millionaires, all but one—100 out of 101 --- were from Group B, the group that had chosen to pursue what they loved.

This is not to say resign if you don’t love your job, but just to say tailor your career in the path of your greatest strength and love.

Furthermore, its never to late to chart a course for your life. There is no use of speed when a man has missed the right way. Increasing your speed in the wrong directions leads to more frustration.
For young graduates, tailor your work experience in the line of your career which is simply embedded in what you love doing. Does a man retire in what he loves doing, do we resign from such ventures. NO.

In case you are still wondering, how then do I start my career? I am already in another field, how do I start. Watch out for my next post on ways to jump start your career .

Above all, discover that which you love, ensure it s a blessing to humanity; ensure it what God approves of .i.e. void of evil, dishonesty and fraud.

See you next time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good piece

God bless you